Shrimp croquettes are a recipe that lovers of traditional tapas will love. This dish combines the smooth and creamy consistency of croquettes, with the characteristic marine flavor of prawns.
BEFORE MAKING THIS RECIPE
Take into account that a rest time will be necessary for the pasta of the shrimp croquettes. It is only about the time it will take to cool down, so that you can manipulate it and shape the balls or croquettes.
This time is not foreseen in the duration indicated for the recipe.
Recipe for traditional and very easy prawn croquettes
- 300 grams of fresh prawns
- 1 liter of milk
- 1/2 white onion
- 4 tablespoons of flour well filled
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup of breadcrumbs
- Vegetable oil
- Salt to taste
- Ground pepper to taste
To start, we will need the prawns to be peeled. If not, this is the perfect time to peel them. will also take the opportunity to chop them into pieces.
We will reserve the prawns for now, to take care of the onion. We are going to peel it and chop it into very small pieces.
Then, we will heat a jet of oil in a frying pan, over medium-low heat. When it is hot, we will use it to poach the chopped onion.
We will cook it for 5 minutes, stirring frequently, taking care that it does not darken or stick to the surface of the pan.
Once this time has passed, we are going to add the pieces of prawns. We will poach them for two more minutes.
YOU MAY SEE: SQUID A LA ROMANA: EASY RECIPE
Then we will add the flour to the pan and let it cook for two minutes, so that it toasts very lightly.
After this time, will pour the milk and salt and pepper to taste. We will mix everything well, using a kitchen spatula, in order that the flour is diluted in the milk, it does not stick to the pan and above all, that there are no lumps.
Now we are going to wait for the milk to heat up, until it boils. This will make our mixture thick.
We can wait two minutes for the mixture to thicken more and then, will turn off the heat and pour it over a source or container, so that it rests. Now we have to wait until it cools down.
Once the mixture is cold, it must have a texture that allows us to make croquettes.
TIPS FOR PREPARING SHRIMP CROQUETTES
- It is best to use fresh prawns to make this recipe. If for some reason you have to use frozen prawns, it is best to let them thaw and drain before using them, so that the water from freezing does not interfere with the preparation.
- For croquettes with a more delicate flavor, you can use butter to poach the chopped onion, instead of oil.
- Optionally, for more hydrated croquettes, you can add a little butter to the mixture, after having diluted the flour in the milk. However, keep in mind that the croquettes will also be more caloric.
- There are cooks who infuse the milk with the shell and heads of the prawns, before using it to make the kind of bechamel sauce that forms the base for the croquettes. Indeed, this technique can add even more flavor to the dish.
- There are also cooks who prefer to leave the kibble batter to sit overnight (if you do this, be sure to leave it in the refrigerator).
- If you are not happy with the consistency of your croquettes paste, you can add a little flour to give it more body, or add a little milk to make it less thick.