Today we are going to prepare a homemade chop suey, that delicious dish that cannot be missing in any of the Chinese restaurants in the West, but that does not exist in China :).
When we make this Chinese-American dish, you can’t miss at least one type of meat. Most of the time it is usually pork or chicken, although you can also make chop suey with beef.
In the case of vegetables, bean sprouts, or soybean sprouts, are mandatory.
Homemade chop suey recipe
- 200 grams of smoked pork chop
- 200 grams of chicken breast
- 1/4 kilo of soybean sprouts
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 diente de ajo
- A small piece of fresh ginger
- Cup of chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons of rice vinegar
- A piece of celery
- 1 green pepper
- Red bell pepper
- 4 chives
- A piece of broccoli
- Tablespoon cornstarch or cornstarch
- Salt to taste
- Ground pepper to taste
- Vegetable oil
The two steps that take the most time to prepare the chop suey are marinating the meat and chopping the vegetables. We will start with the first. To do this, you have to chop the meats into bars less than a finger wide.
Then, we will place them in a container large enough to also contain the marinade. There we will season them to taste and mix well.
To continue, we will pour the soy sauce into a bowl, and add the sugar.
On one side, we will peel the garlic and mince it very finely, as small as possible.
We will also peel the ginger piece and with the help of a very sharp knife, we will cut it into slices and then, into very small squares, until completing a tablespoon. Optionally, you can rather pass the ginger through a grater.
Now we will add the garlic and ginger to the sauce, and the komezu, or rice vinegar.
In the cup of chicken broth, we will add the cornstarch and stir with a fork, until the powder is completely dissolved, without lumps.
Then we will add the broth to the rest of the marinade, we will mix everything well, and we will bathe the meats with this preparation, before covering the container and taking it to the fridge, to marinate for an hour.
You may see: 14 MEXICAN TACOS RECIPES TO MAKE AT HOME
We will take advantage of the marinating time to take care of chopping the other vegetables.
To start with, we are going to wash the garlic well, dry it, and chop it in julienne strips, until completing a cup.
In the case of soybean sprouts, we are going to wash it in a colander, under a stream of cold water. Then, we will drain them well.
In the case of carrots, we will peel it and then cut it into julienne strips.
We are also going to wash the peppers well, dry them, remove the rest of the branch, and open them to remove the seeds and the internal white part. Then we will chop them in julienne.
We will immediately wash and drain the chives or chives. We will remove the roots and chop them in julienne. About four parts should come out of each one.
Now we will wash the piece of broccoli well, dry it and chop it in julienne (or as similar as possible), until completing a cup.
Chop suey cooking
Before cooking the chop suey, remove the chicken and pork from the marinade and drain them. Don’t go to throw away the liquid.
To continue with our recipe, we are going to need a wok or a large skillet. There we will heat a jet of oil.
When it is hot, we are going to add the pieces of meat, and we will brown them, stirring frequently so that they cook on all sides, evenly.
Then, we will remove the meat and put it aside, to make way for the cooking of the vegetables.
Now we will add the celery, carrot, broccoli, and peppers. We will salt and pepper slightly to taste, and let it cook for 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
After this time, we will return the meats to the wok or pan, add the chives with the bean sprouts, and bathe with the marinade.
We will cook for 3 more minutes, we will taste to verify the seasoning and if necessary, we will correct it with more salt, pepper or sugar. Then we will mix well again and serve.
TIPS FOR MAKING HOMEMADE CHOP SUEY
- If you do not have the lid of the container where you have put the pork and chicken to marinate, you can cover it with a plastic film. It is very important that you do not take it to the refrigerator without having covered it, so that the meats do not dry out while marinating.
- For the best result, make the chicken broth at home, ahead of time, with our homemade chicken broth recipe .
- If you don’t have cornstarch at home, you can replace it with the same amount of cornmeal.
- To give the chop suey a more Asian flavor, you can use sesame oil for cooking.
- A chop suey is always delicious if you accompany it with white rice, or also with three delicacies.
- You can use other vegetables in your preparation, such as zucchini or cilantro. You can also vary the proteins, and use beef or tofu.