The marinated dogfish recipe is a typical MARINADE Andalusian delicacy.
This dish is a classic of Malaga’s chiringuitos, one of those delicious and traditional fried foods that you want to continue eating non-stop, compulsively. They are also a must when you go to the friterías of Cádiz, or of the entire region.
HOW TO PREPARE MARINATED DOGFISH
Take into account that it is best to let the dogfish marinate in the marinade for several hours. In this way, the dish will be tastier. If you don’t have time, you can go directly from making the marinade to cooking, but you will see that the result is not the same as when you leave the fish marinating. In fact, I don’t recommend doing the latter at all.
How to make dogfish in adobo step by step
Cook at home this delicious traditional recipe for marinated dogfish, typical of Andalusia.
- 500 gr of dogfish
- 4 cloves of garlic
- Sweet paprika to taste
- Oregano powder to taste
- Cumin powder to taste
- 1 glass of sherry vinegar 50 ml
- 3 bay leaves
- Flour for coating
- Vegetable oil
- Salt to taste
To start this recipe, we will start from the principle that the dogfish is already clean and ready to cook. There should be no thorns (or rather, the spine), anywhere.
The first thing we will do is cut the fish into pieces, the size of a bite, with the help of a very sharp knife. Then, we are going to place them in a container or large bowl.
The next thing we will do is peel the garlic cloves and chop them as finely as possible. Then, we will put them in the bowl next to the fish.
We will also add a teaspoon of ground cumin, a tablespoon of salt, the bay leaves, a tablespoon of oregano powder, a tablespoon of sweet paprika, the vinegar and 100 milliliters of water.
Now we are going to mix all the ingredients in the bowl, until the dogfish pieces are covered with a kind of paste, as homogeneous as possible.
This is the moment when you have to decide how long you will let the dogfish marinate. Really, this step is essential for the result to be really rich. I recommend leaving it to marinate for at least 8 hours, but if you can leave it overnight, so much the better. Just make sure you leave it marinating in the fridge, with the bowl covered, so it doesn’t dry out.
When the marinating time is over, we will prepare a flat plate that we will cover with a layer of flour to coat.
Then, we will take the bowl out of the refrigerator and drain the pieces of fish. I prefer to place them on a plate covered with a sheet of absorbent paper to make sure to remove the excess marinade.
Tips for preparing the marinated dogfish recipe
- If you are dying to prepare this recipe and cannot find dogfish, you can make a version with grouper. The result will be quite similar to the original dish.
- The most practical thing is that you try to get the half kilo of dogfish in the form of a slice, which will be easier to chop and more consistent.
- You can use coarse salt instead of conventional kitchen salt, to give this recipe more sea flavor.
- For an even more flavorful marinade dogfish, you can replace the seasoning water with the same amount of dry white wine.
- When you go to fry the dogfish pieces, make sure they are well separated from each other, so that they cook well. Do not fry too many at the same time, because this could lower the temperature of the oil, and cause them to not cook well. It is better that you do them in several batches.